Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Beginner Sewing: Tinkerbell Dress

This past winter, once we were settled into our new home, I decided it was time to get a sewing machine and begin navigating the world of CRAFTY MOMMA.  I have wanted to make cute items for the kids and some basic decor items for the house.

I researched sewing machine online and decided on the Brother XL2610 Free-Arm Sewing Machine.  So far it has been easy to use at my beginner sewing level, but I think that it has enough bells and whistles that I will still be happy with it as I grow in experience.  


One of my first projects couldn't have been easier.  Jo-Anne Fabrics sells bolts of character fabric that are pre-shirred at the top so that all I had to do was measure Sweet W and sew a seem and add coordinating ribbon for straps.  If you are looking for a simple project to get you started, I highly recommend this one.  I suppose it could be worn with a t-shirt beneath for cooler climates or more modesty.  Here is a photo:

Now if you are a mom of multiples or have siblings close in age you know that you can not create a project for one child without doing something special for the other.  I can not take the creative credit for the next project because I saw this idea from Georgia Leigh on her blog.  It was so cute I ended up making two.  First I made one for my son and then my daughter.  My sun requested Superman and Batman and my daughter wanted Wonderwoman and Princess.  The directions are all over on Georgia Leigh's website, but here are my pics.

 
Good luck with your projects and stay tuned for more ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment