Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Simple Pillow Covers

I have been moving around the same tired old pillows for several months.  First, I thought maybe they would look better in a different location.  When that didn't work I vowed that I would select some fabric and make new covers for them.  Well a few more months went by and several trips to the fabric store.  I had a lot of trouble committing to a fabric choice.  I ended up playing it safe with a little color and stripes.  One thing you will never get from me is decorating advice.  Today I am here to share probably the simplest way to change up your pillows.

This clearly had to go


The first thing I did was to measure the pillow.  When I purchased the fabric I added a little extra to allow for any beginner mistakes.  Generally, I allowed for an extra inch and a half all the way around.

1.The method I used was to iron out the new fabric to get any of the wrinkles out.

2.  Next I measured out the fabric very carefully and cut it so that I could fold the fabric over and only have 3 sides open.   For example my pillow insert was 18" square so I cut the fabric to a size of 21" x 42".  [NOTE: if you are using a patterned fabric, preview how the edges will match up before making your cuts and pinning your fabric-- I missed this step on my first try and had the result below]
I can live with this, but I didn't want to do it again, so check and recheck your fabric.



3.  I folded the the long pieces in half inside out (good side in) and pinned every thing together leaving the side across from the fold open.  The pins will keep the fabric lined up as desired as you begin closing the pillow up.

4.  I sewed a one inch seam around the 3 pinned sides (including the folded side so I would have a neat edge) and left the 4th side open.

5. Turn the case right side out and stuff it with your pillow insert.  Push the insert deep inside so that you have room to spin and sew the final seam closed.  I rolled the raw edges in and ironed them down before pinning to make the seam neat and smooth.  Finally I sewed it closed.  It worked out much better on the second pillow below.
Much Better!



5. I hope that this helps you transform the pillows you are tired of in your house.

No comments:

Post a Comment