Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Light Carrot Cake with Toasted Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting

This is probably the best carrot cake recipe I have ever eaten.  I think a lot of carrot cake recipes tend to be too dry but this one is so moist and delicious I keep sneaking extra little bites.  The secret unusual ingredient is the carrot puree (baby food).  The best part is that it is light!

It is great for a spring/Easter brunch, baby shower, or your new summer harvest from your garden.   You will never make a boxed variety again.  For those that like walnuts that would add some extra nutrients as well.  We are a nut free household due to an allergy, but I usually like to add them to carrot cake.

I walk by it on the kitchen counter determined not to have more but then I can't stop myself.  If I just knick another little piece off the side with my knife it doesn't really count, right.

I found this recipe on Cooking Light as a award winner, and a winner it is.  I substituted apple sauce for the oil (I think you could substitute Greek yogurt as well).

photo from Cooking Light (Next time I make it I will try to snap a photo before digging in. ) 




Here is the recipe:


The Best Carrot Cake (Cooking Light Magazine)
Cake:
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (about 3 1/3 ounces)
  • 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup granulated sugar 
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1 (2 1/2-ounce) jar carrot baby food
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten 
  • 1 1/4 cups finely grated carrot (about 4 ounces)
  • 1/2 cup golden raisins 
  • Cooking spray
Frosting:
  • 1/3 cup (3 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
  • 1 tablespoon butter, softened 
  • 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut, toasted

Preparation
  1. Preheat oven to 325°.
  2. To prepare cake, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (through salt) in a food processor; pulse 6 times or until well blended. Place flour mixture in a large bowl. Combine granulated sugar, canola oil, baby food, and eggs; stir with a whisk. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moist. Stir in grated carrot and raisins. Spoon batter into an 8-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray.
  3. Bake at 325° for 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
  4. To prepare frosting, combine cheese and butter in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer at high speed until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla, beating at low speed until smooth (do not overbeat). Spread over cake; sprinkle with coconut. Cover and chill.
Let me know what you think or if you made any changes.




No comments:

Post a Comment